Unusual Museums in AmsterdamLesser-known and strange or unique museums not typically found in a travel guide and which are known only to a few.
Museum of Bags and Purses
Take a guided tour and you will be surprised by funny anecdotes and stories about the history of the bag, ranging from the Middle Ages to through to the present.
Our Lord in the Attic Museum
Houseboat Museum |
See how an authentic barge was converted to a comfortable houseboat, with authentic skipper's quarters with sleeping bunk, sizable livingroom, kitchen and bathroom.
The world's first and oldest sex museum, the "Venustempel", with an extensive collection of erotic pictures, paintings, objects, recordings, photographs and even attractions.
No actual cats, just art. Founded in commemoration of the red and frisky Tom Cat, JP Morgan, the life long companion and buddy of the museum's founder, Bob Meijer.
Modern contemporary art museum focusing on Street Art and underground artist Banksy.
a fascinating story about the culture of pipe smoking and tobacco
Be warned that not all attractions with the word 'museum' in the name are officially a museum. Amsterdam has many so called 'museums' that in fact are just shops or entertainment, where you pay entrance fee for. Below some examples:
- Amsterdam Cheese Museum Prinsengracht 112 (Jordaan)
- Amsterdam Tulip Museum Prinsengracht 116 (Jordaan)
- Erotic Museum Oudezijds Achterburgwal 54 (Old Centre)
- Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum Oudezijds Achterburgwal 148
- Red Light Secrets / Museum of Prostitution Oudezijds Achterburgwal 60
- Sex Museum Venustempel Damrak 18 (Old Centre)
- Torture Museum Amsterdam Singel 449 (Canal Belt)
- Vodka Museum Amsterdam Damrak 33 (Old Centre)