Excursions in the surrounding of Amsterdam
What to do outside of Amsterdam
- old windmills Windmills at De Zaanse Schans
a living museum, folks live and work as they did in the 17th and 18th centuries. Zaanse Schans is only 4 stations (20 minutes) by train from Amsterdam Centraal Station in the direction of Alkmaar.
- old city City of Haarlem
history, shops and parks
- cheese market The Alkmaar Cheese Market
Every Friday you can see the ritualized marketing of cheese by traditionally costumed cheese bearers. A tradition since 1593!
- flowers Keukenhof in Lisse
the most popular place in Holland to see tulips bloom
- old city City of Leiden
history, museums and canals
- museum Zuiderzee Museum (Enkhuizen)
an open air exhibition of Dutch art, design and cultural legacy at the interface of land and water from the present and the past.
- old ship Batavia Yard in Lelystad
VOC ship Batavia from 1628, workshops and restaurant
- flowers Aalsmeer Flower Auction
The world marketplace for flowers and plants
- line of defence Defence Line of Amsterdam (Stelling van Amsterdam)
surrounding Amsterdam, at a distance of about 15 kilometres from the city
- old fishing village The former island Marken
a picturesque village known for its wooden houses and people dressed in traditional costumes
- castle Muiderslot in Muiden (15 km from Amsterdam)
a list of popular Amsterdam sights and attractions