Many purchases are subject to a Value Added Tax (VAT), usually about 21%. To claim back the VAT of your Dutch purchases, you need to meet the following conditions:
- You are a non-European Union (EU) citizen.
- Your purchases are at least €50 per store in one day
- You take the goods back home yourself, unused and within a 90 day period.
How to claim back Value Added Tax
1. Ask for a tax-free form at affiliated shops
2. Pick up customs stamps at the airport
Go to the customs desk in Departure Hall 3 with your tax-free form and attached original receipt. If approved, you will receive a stamp on the form. You will need these to request your VAT back through the tax refund partner.
3. Collect your money at the right tax refund desk
Bring all the necessary documents and stamps to the tax refund partner's desk that is affiliated with the shop(s) where you made your purchases. The VAT refund can be deposited on your credit card or cashed out in a currency of your choice.
If you are in a hurry or already past security, you can post the completed and stamped tax-free forms in a special mailbox. You can find this mailbox near the customs desk in Departure Hall 3 and in Lounge 3. The amount will be automatically credited to your credit card within a few weeks.